So maybe you haven't heard the news, but Mel Gibson is getting a divorce after 28 years of marriage. His wife filed for the divorce claiming the ever popular, irreconcilable differences. Now I am not against divorce at all; if it is going to make someone happier to not be with someone anymore, go for it.
But the big issue here is money money. Mel Gibson is supposedly worth $1 billion. (I knew he was talented and popular, but wow!) His wife wants half of that. She wants 500 million dollars (if my math is correct; I'm not use to such big amounts...) in the settlement.
Does she really deserve that much, most of which I'm sure Mel earned on his own? I'm not going to judge since I don't know the details of the situation, etc.
This story made me think about worth. We all have our ways of calculating self worth or just worth in general. Personality, morals, values, occupation, and money are all ways to do it. I just could never imagine being worth $1 billion. It is a ridiculous amount of money and I can hardly wrap my head around it. I am still convinced I would be happy with $1 million. I really think I could live very very comfortably with that amount...not that I wouldn't take more if given...
But back to the divorce thing, I guess this is just more proof that prenuptial agreements are a must because you never know where you will be say 28 years down the road or how much you will be worth monetarily. I guess unless you are cool with a 50/50 split of everything.
Just some food for thought...